Really Yummy Ricotta Gnocchi

Life has been busy! I decided to slow it down a bit and make some homemade gnocchi. Recently Kristina; my 13 year old attended a birthday party at an Italian restaurant where they made gnocchi and learned some cooking techniques. Pasta has been on my brain since then and I've made gnocchi a few times now. I have made both potato and ricotta gnocchi but like the ricotta one better-I think it makes a lighter pasta.  Both the girls were in the kitchen with me so we made this a group project. I remember every Christmas making ravoli with my Mom and sisters. Hopefully this will be a new tradition for us.  I fooled around with a few different recipes and came up with this one. Also, you can use a fork to make the grooves but if you are going to make this recipe a staple, then a small investment in a gnocchi board (less than $10) is worth it. Who couldn't use a new kitchen tool right?
The recipe is really easy so give it a try-it's worth the time!

2 cups whole-milk ricotta (1 pound) (drain if necessary)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese 
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
Additional flour for rolling
Add enough flour til it's not sticky
Roll "snakes"
Cut into 1 inch pieces...
Press and roll on a a fork...
...or a gnocchi board
Line up one a lined baking sheet to dry a bit or freeze






































































Mix the ricotta eggs and cheese in a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients. You may need to add more flour because you don't want the dough to be sticky.  Take a couple of tablespoons of dough and roll into a "snake" on a floured counter.  The key here is to make sure the dough isn't sticky. Cut in 1 inch pieces and now the fun begins; either take a fork or flour a gnocchi board and "roll" the dough pressing against the groves. It might take a while but stay with it.  Place the finished gnocchi on a parchment lined tray and let dry for a bit (you can also freeze these for a later use) before cooking.
Bring a stockpot full of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the gnocchi in the pot (they will sink) stir gently with a wood spoon and cook until they float about 5 minutes (if you are cooking them frozen then add a few more minutes). Drain and serve with your favorite sauce. I used a great vodka sauce that we posted previously. The bonus was that I used the tomatoes and paste I canned from my garden-the sauce was yummalicious with the gnocchi. Serve with additional grated cheese.

***Use this recipe and add 1 cup cooked sweet potaoes and increase the flour to 3 cups. The gnocchi turn out beautiful.  

No comments: